Good morning, MBC Friends and Family!
Boy! Did it feel weird to type in the date in for today’s update! I’ve been watching Facebook over the last few days, and it’s been interesting to read where everyone was on 9/11/2001 and what they were doing. For the record, September 11, 2001 was the first and only time I directly defied an order from a military policeman and was chased through a parking lot of a Burger King by someone carrying an M-16 machine gun… I’ll save that story for another time, but suffice to say, don’t try and separate a mother from her children–especially during a national emergency.
September 11, 2020 does share some eerie similarities to September 11, 2001, doesn’t it? The world is seemingly out-of-control. Fear runs rampant. Natural events seem almost apocalyptic. However, one thing I learned from the Minor Prophets study is that God is just, and He is always working. His plans will be accomplished, and He is in control of everything that happens here on this planet. As Zephaniah said, “The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing” (Zeph 3:17). To be honest, as I sit here and remember 9/11/2020, I am strangely comforted–not by the current mess we are in–but by the fact that God was, is, and still will be in control of 2001, 2020, 2021, 2025, and any subsequent years…no matter how bad things seem to get. And He has promised that all of this will work together for His good–which ultimately is OUR good. And just like the rainbow in the sky reminds us: God always keeps his promises!
- This Sunday is our big Celebration Service! Click here or copy and paste the following address into your browser for a short video message from Pastor Matt which explains why and how we will be celebrating! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB6AG7ETKlI Since it is an outdoor service, we have posted the lyrics for all the songs on our website! Click here for the words to the great worship songs we will be singing on Sunday. This outdoor service starts at 10am and will be followed by free boxed lunches and snowcones in the back parking lot. Bring an awning/canopy and lawn chairs if you have them. You don’t want to miss it.
- We had a great turnout last week for the kickoff of our fall Wednesday night ministries! However, it’s not too late if you couldn’t make it last week! You can still join re:generation, Re|Engage, Finding God Faithful (for women), and a study of Psalm 23 (for men) from 6:15-8pm every Wednesday from now until December 16th. Please make sure to register in Realm–especially if your children will be participating in CrossKids or CrossKids Jr. Contact the church office (click here) for more information on any of these classes!
- Don’t forget that since September is Hunger Action Month, MBC is sponsoring Manna House with a campaign to “Bring in the Harvest.” Those who donate at least $28 ($28 feeds a family of 4 for a month!) will receive a coupon for 28% off their entire purchase at Heaven’s Attic—Manna House’s thrift store! In addition, for every $28 you donate, you will be entered in a raffle for special Manna House prizes such as t-shirts, aprons, pens, bracelets, and a $100 Chick Fil A gift card. You can give now on Realm (click here) or by designating “Manna House Harvest” on your check or contribution envelope to support this gospel-centered ministry that meets the needs of the hungry and underprivileged here in Midlothian and Ellis County.
- Doug and Peggy Arendsee will be starting a new small group on Sunday mornings called Life with God. Contact Doug @ email@example.com (307-286-1135) for more information.
- Mike has concluded his study of the Minor Prophets, but the group is continuing to meet with a new study of 1st John on Zoom! Please email Mike (click here) if you’re interested, so he can send you the notes for the study and an invitation to join the Zoom meeting!
- Finally, we will be honoring the Clark family with a “Shower” for their new additions and a “Birthday Sprinkle” for Gracelynn. See details on the MBC Women’s Facebook page or contact the church office (click here) for more information. Collection of gifts will be next Sunday, September 20th in the Hub.
As crazy as these times were and are, we still have quite a bit to be grateful for, so when the world seems to be spinning all around us, remember 1 Thessalonians 5:16-17: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing, Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. May you be aware of God’s comforting presence this week!
In service to Him and to you!